Thursday, August 28, 2008

Work Day

Today is a 12-hour shift at the hospital for me and to be honest, I am not looking forward to it. The past couple of sleepless nights have made me tired and drained. Breakfast seems to always perk me up in the morning even when I am getting up at 4:30am.

Healthy Tip: most of you have heard that, "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." Well, it really is because it can set the foundation for your energy level and food intake for the rest of the day. I know that when I eat a solid breakfast of carbs, protein, and moderate amount of fat then I am set to go for a few hours. But when my breakfast choice was not substantial enough then I find myself raiding my pantry soon after, especially if I have done a workout. Many people who are in a rush in the morning tend to skip breakfast but then chow down and over eat on a big meal later. Better to spread those calories out through the day to keep your energy level of and hunger subsided. My trick is to eat about every three hours, depending on the meal/snack size it may be two or four hours. This trick can "trick" you mind into thinking it is taking in more calories and keep your hunger at bay.

Quick Morning meals:
  • cereal topped with low-fat yogurt and fruit
  • energy bar, piece of fruit (my favorites are Cliff, Luna, Z-bars)
  • toast with peanut butter, piece of fruit

Have a nice day everyone!

No comments: