Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Long Time Coming Dinner




Every since I was a little girl I have wanted to make spaghetti squash. It all began many years ago as a young child when I read about spaghetti squash in a kids gardening book my mother had bought me. Spaghetti from a vegetable sounded so cool to a young aspiring (still aspiring) chef. I have thought about it many times but never got the nerve to do it but here I went. There are few times in my life when I feel a "man" is needed to do something but this was definitely a time. The squash was almost impossible for me to cut, I was so afraid that I was going to slice my hand off (sorry for the graphic image). The first picture is the squash after baking in the oven at 350 degrees for about 60 minutes. I then gave it some cooling down time before scrapping the inside out, as seen in picture 2. Voila, spaghetti squash! The last picture is the finished product that includes organic pasta sauce, chunks of tofu, and melted low-fat monterey jack cheese. My yummy creation was most definitely worth the wait.

4 comments:

Christine said...

I've never had spaghetti squash with sauce before, though it sounds really good!

A tip to make cutting squash is to poke a few holes into it, then microwave on high for 3-5 minutes. It only cooks it a tiny bit and softens the skin so that slicing through it isn't as hazardous. (Doesn't help the stem, though.)

LiLmissGuTs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LiLmissGuTs said...

oops i deleted it when i wanted to edit...

Just wanted to say you made me put spaghetti squash on my list! I love that stuff. ;)

I also love your creative ideas! I'm always trying to throw random things together and try new things. :)

Anonymous said...

ah i totally forgot you had a blog... added you to my blogroll though :)